How to complete a check without errors? Example and step by step guide.
It is not obvious to be able to complete a check without errors. Especially for those who do it the first time, or when it comes to very high figures, it is advisable to recognize if a bank check has been filled in the right way, so as not to run the risk of being canceled due to a small carelessness. An example , in this case, is very useful.
The saver, equipped with a block, is required to complete his check by himself, not as with a bank draft , which is filled in by the bank.
Below, Money.it presents a step-by-step guide on how to do it, explaining in detail the meaning and use of the fields to be filled, along with some examples on how to write information on your check.
Guide to completing a check
How to complete a check
Amount in numbers
Amount in words
How to complete the check coupon
How to complete a check
First of all, we clarify that a check is a tool used for the payment of a given sum by a debtor, who must necessarily have a current account.
The information you need to have to fill out a check is:
account holder name (own name);
For an amount exceeding € 1,000, the “Non-Transferable” clause must be specified on the check to be filled . For smaller amounts, however, the check can be both transferable and non-transferable.
Example on how to complete a check
Each number shown in the infographic corresponds, below, to a point that explains and clarifies how to complete a check without errors.
1) Place At the top, in the “Place” field, enter the name of the city where the check is completed. It seems useless and redundant, but in reality the place where a bank check is drawn directly affects waiting times for its presentation.
In the event that the place of issue of the check corresponds to the place where the bank that issued the checkbook is located, then we are in the presence of a check “on the square” and its presentation (collection) is possible within 8 days from the date shown. If, on the other hand, the two places have no correspondence, the time for the presentation increases up to 15 days and the check is called “out of square”.
2) Date This field must be filled in by entering the date from which the validity of the check begins, presumably the same as its completion. Attention: according to the Italian law, completing postdated checks is illegal .
The only exception is in case of need to send a completed check, an occasion in which a postdating of no more than four days is allowed to allow the check to be delivered to the beneficiary, who will have all the time to make his presentation. The date is very important because it defines the days available to the beneficiary to cash the check: 8 days if the check is on the square and 15 days if the check is out of square. At the end of the days, whoever issues the check plus ask the bank to cancel the payment.
3) Amount in numbers In this space the amount of the check must be written in numbers, or how much money who completes the check must transfer to the beneficiary.
The presence field a comma and two small boxes on the right. In the compilation, on the left it is necessary to insert the whole numbers (in our example, 172), while in the two boxes the hundredths must be inserted (in our case 00 because the figure is round).
4) Amount in letters It is the part that generally gives more problems in filling out a check. In this field the amount to be transferred should be inserted in letters (we must transfer 172 euros, so we write ” one hundred seventy two “).
Once we have written the decimal amount, we need to draw the symbol “/” (without quotation marks) and enter the number of cents in digits (in our example, / 00). Therefore, the complete compilation of this field becomes ” one hundred seventy two / 00 “. If our check has an amount of € 400.50, then we should write “four hundred / 50”.
5) Beneficiary name Here we insert the name and surname of the person or company to whom the check is addressed, and who therefore has the right to collect the check once it is completed. It is possible not to specify the name of the beneficiary: in this case the field is left blank and the check is “bearer” and can be collected by anyone who comes to the bank to collect it. There is also the possibility of indicating yourself as a beneficiary of a check by writing in this field “to myself”.
When the name of the beneficiary is specified, the check is automatically non-transferable and can be cashed exclusively by the beneficiary, while the transferable one can be paid to another person through the operation known as endorsed, even if in the compilation the name of another beneficiary.
6) Signature Here the signature of the person issuing the check must be inserted, or the holder of the current account that completes the check. The signature is necessary to make the check valid and must be the same one that was deposited when the account was opened with his own white. If the signature is different, the check is null.
How to complete the check coupon
These are the most important parts to know about how to complete a check. However, to make our guide even more complete, let’s see what the coupon is for which, once a check has been completed and torn down, remains attached to our checkbook. The coupon that remains is used by the account holder to track and remember the checks issued with their amounts and the names of the beneficiaries.
7) Check date – The same date entered in field 2 must be reported.
8) In favor of – The name entered in field 5 must be reported)
9) Amounts – The amount of the check is entered in numbers as in chapter 3)
10) Reason – Field absent in completing the check to be given to the beneficiary, is useful information for the account holder to remember the reason for issuing the check.